From Jean Nouvel’s city hall, to a school of management by Massimiliano and Doriana Fuksas, and a library by Zaha Hadid, we profile a city with an eye for tomorrow. From Venice, eight architects – from Norman Foster to Kumiko Inui – give us their thoughts on the Architecture Biennale’s best and brightest. Finally, Adjaye Associates inject spirit into Washington D.C.’s design scene with a pair of libraries in low-income neighbourhoods.
New work by: SFOSL, Roz Barr, Buehrer Wuest, Helen & Hard, Studio Pacific, Hofman Dujardin, Lautner + Kirisits, V-Architekten, Tato, Joho, HHF, Patrick Tatopoulos, BDG, Mecanoo, Pohl Architekten, Juan Agustin Soza, Périphériques and Berranger & Vincent, Alex Chinneck, TDA, Churtichaga+Quadra-Salcedo, and Powerhouse Company
- Introduction: Three new buildings for administrative, educational and cultural purposes endorse Montpellier’s ambitious vision of the future.
- Ateliers Jean Nouvel: In a time marked by cutbacks in public expenditures, Jean Nouvel’s City Hall sends a message of belief in tomorrow.
- Studio Fuksas: Massimiliano and Doriana Fuksas turned their school of hotel management into a fluid aluminium sculpture.
- Zaha Hadid Architects: Zaha Hadid’s building in Montpellier is a symbol of civic pride.
- Mass Studies: The new Daum complex seems to have been carved from Jeju Island’s geological formations.
- Architecture Biennale: Eight architects share their experiences at the 2012 Venice Architecture Biennale.
- Koji Tsutsui & Associates: Koji Tsutsui’s Case Study House explores ways in which communities can grow without growing apart.
- Slides: A recent surge of architectural slides makes one wonder what the designers were thinking.
- Tomas Koolhaas: Tomas Koolhaas is working on a film about his father, Rem.
- Adjaye Associates: Adjaye Associates realized two exemplary libraries for the enrichment of low-income communities in Washington, DC.
- Tino Schaedler: The commercial for Kia’s budget car, Soul, inverts the role of the architect.
- Gerardo Broissin: The Roberto Cantoral Cultural Center in Mexico City takes us back to mid-century modern.
- Deborah Borda: The Los Angeles Philharmonic asked Frank Gehry and Jean Nouvel to design opera sets.
- BRT Architects: Hadi Teherani of BRT Architects has built an oasis of learning on the edge of the Abu Dhabi Desert.
- Blair Kamin: Blair Kamin thinks all good journalistic critics are activists.