Morphosis' Shanghai campus - designed for an online gaming company - stretches the length of eight football fields. Santiago welcomes its first large-scale intervention: a massive cultural centre and ministerial building by Cristian Fernandez Aqruitectos and Lateral Arquitecture & Diseno. Hiroshi Nakamura finds space for a museum among 19 trees, and Junichi Sampei designed a concrete house that he wrapped in steel.
Kersten + Kopp, Diener & Diener, Dellekamp, Zaha Hadid, Henning, Mamm-Design, Atelier Fcjz, Deubzer König + Rimmel, Koz, Jakob & Macfarlane, Davidclovers, Foster + Partners
Zecc Architects (Utrecht), Yasutaka Yoshimura (Tokyo)
- Morphosis in Shanghai: Morphosis installed an entire campus inside a single building the size of eight soccer fields.
- Caau in Hong Kong: Four towers and a cantilevered volume make up Thomas Coldefy’s iconic Hong Kong design institute.
- Thom Andersen in Los Angeles: Director Thom Andersen talks about the typecasting and re-typecasting of Los Angeles’s modernist residential architecture in Hollywood films.
- Ronnie Self in Houston: The house in Houston that Ronnie Self built to live in with his partner sums up the city in a nutshell.
- Manuelle Gautrand Architects in Villeneuve D’Ascq: To enhance the recently rebranded LAM, Manuelle Gautrand architects creeps upon and around Roland Simounet’s original galleries.
- JR in Shanghai: French activist and artist JR uses photography to link the lives of people to the history of their city.
- Hiroshi Nakamura & Nap Tochigi: Hiroshi Nakamura finds space for a museum among 19 trees.
- Junichi Sampei in Tokyo: Junichi Sampei designed a concrete house that he wrapped in steel.
- Letter from Cairo: Wearing a Utah Jazz cap and sun-protection factor 50, photographer Manuel Alvarez Diestro wanders around new Cairo.
- Spatial stories witih Takayuki Suzuki (Kyoto)
- Design problems solved by Beat Karrer (Zurich)
- Glass courtyard roofs by Ney + Partners (Brussels) & Sander Architecten (Amsterdam)